E-med Logo

Electric Shock

The danger from an electrical shock depends on the type of current, how high the voltage is, how the current travelled through the body, the person’s overall health and how quickly the person is treated.

You should call your local emergency response team immediately if any of these signs or symptoms occur:

  • Cardiac arrest
  • Heart rhythm problems (arrhythmias)
  • Respiratory failure
  • Muscle pain and contractions
  • Burns
  • Seizures
  • Numbness and tingling
  • Unconsciousness

While waiting for the response team, follow these steps:

  • Look first. Don’t touch. The person may still be in contact with the electrical source.
  • Turn off the source of electricity, if possible.
  • Check of signs of circulation (breathing, coughing or movement). If absent, begin CPR immediately, if you know how.
  • Prevent shock. Lay the person down and, if possible, position the head slightly lower than the trunk with the legs elevated.